Making A Difference: Year 9 / mid secondary studentsWhether or not young people see themselves as leaders…
they CAN exercise leadership and make a positive difference!Making a Difference is a three-term program for Year 9 / mid secondary students, designed to give them the opportunity to explore their unique potential. Based on research encompassing positive psychology, community development and effective and sustainable leadership, the program provides a combination of workshops, group projects and self directed learning to maximise the positive outcomes for both the students and the school.
MAKING A DIFFERENCE: Program SummaryTerm 1 – Lead with Your Strengths Through a series of creative activities and reflections, students:
- Refine their ideas about ‘leadership’?
- Discover the leadership strengths they bring that they can draw upon.
- Explore their sense of purpose and things that matter to them. What would they like to see happen at school? In their lives?
- Explore what they have to offer.
- Discover the value of working in teams.
- Grow belief in their ability to make a difference.
- Reflect on the experiences of Term 2.
- Apply what they have learnt to other aspects of their lives.
- Explore the complexity of change.
- Learn in the area of mentoring/mutual support.
- Act as mentors for younger students as they participate in the project.
- Explore leadership as senior students.
- Be part of a module on exercising leadership in times of change or challenge.